Whether you work with chainsaws in the course of your work of you need to use one around your own property, adequate personal protection against possible injury should always be one of your prime concerns. Comfort is also a key factor in choosing your ideal chainsaw gloves because operators are likely to be more focused on the job at hand when not being distracted by clumsy or poor fitting gloves.
The feel and fit are also important as ill-fitting chainsaw gloves will reduce grip and interfere with the feedback that the user is getting in relation to the “feel” of the chainsaw. A solid and firm grip is essential not only for accuracy and speed but vital in respect of the safe handling of the saw or other equipment being used.
While different gloves will provide varying levels of protection and comfort, some users are likely to prefer flexibility and dexterity and in most cases, this will come at the expense of reduced protection. The gloves that we have reviewed here have also been chosen with this balance of protection and usability in mind.
From flexible mesh and metal glove linings to durable outer fabrics, there are many things to be considered when choosing the best chainsaw gloves 2020. Even the size and type of chainsaw may be easier to handle dependent on the gloves you chose. In the final analysis, one of the biggest deciding factors is likely to be a mix of recognizing the best features for you and your own personal preference.
We have extensively researched to find out which are the best chainsaw gloves that are sold in terms of comfort, protection, and, of course, cost.
Listed below are our top 5 bestselling chainsaw gloves for you to check out.
Top 5 Best Chainsaw Gloves 2020
|Top 5 Best Chainsaw Gloves||Editors Rating||Check Price|
|VGO Chainsaw Protection Gloves||4 Stars|
|Youngstown Glove 05-3080-70-L||4.5 Stars|
|Youngstown Glove 09-9083-10-L Titan XT||4 Stars|
|Ironclad General Utility Work Gloves GUG-04-L||3 Stars|
|Ringers R-314 Extrication Gloves||4.7 Stars|
1. VGO Chainsaw Protection Gloves
These VGO chainsaw protection gloves are ideal for anyone who uses a range of other equipment as well as a chainsaw. From DIY and power tools and metal working with its associated equipment, to hand tools, and of course logging work, these gloves provide the highest levels of user comfort and working safety.
One of their key features is the gloves flexibility and durability which is a result of the main material used in the gloves hi-quality construction being goat’s leather. This has produced a pair of gloves that will go on feeling comfortable even after a long day’s use.
The textured palm patches also afford high levels of grip and further add to the protective qualities of the glove as well.
The use of stretch spandex fabric on the rear of the gloves serves the twofold purpose of providing breathability and higher visibility which is essential when working with a chainsaw in close proximity to others.
The insertion of special fabric patches inside the back of the left-hand glove also provides extra protection against accidental chainsaw cutting as a “stopper” fabric and these comply with the very latest EN381-7 standard.
When it comes to a secure and firm fitting the VGO chainsaw protection glove utilizes adjustment via a neoprene cuff. This also features variable adjustment through the use of strong Velcro to ensure a safe and secure fit. The use of finger sections that have been manufactured “pre-curved” also ensures an enhanced grip and superior glove fitting.
Overall, VGO Chainsaw Protection Gloves appear to be very well made, the Velcro fasteners afford a certain amount of flexibility, and they certainly represent excellent value for money too.
- Part Number - GA8912-O-XL
- Item Weight - 7.8 ounces
- Package Dimensions - 10.8 x 5 x 1.6 inches
- Size - X-Large
- Colour - Orange
- Material - Goatskin leather
- Very well made.
- Excellent value-for-money.
- Afford comfortable and freedom of movement.
- Easy to wear for prolonged working periods.
- Sizing is smaller than stated and buyers should order one size up from their normal size
- Feel rather flimsy as chainsaw protection especially the left-hand glove
2. Youngstown Glove 05-3080-70-L
The Youngstown Glove Company is expert in the manufacture of hi-quality gloves and their General Utility glove comes with the outstanding protection of real KEVLAR. The glove material itself has been manufactured from a product mix that includes Nylon, polyester, PVC, Polyurethane, and of course the all-important Kevlar. There are also some small quantities of rubber and Velcro in there too.
The DuPont produced Kevlar completely lines the gloves and provides them with a high level of puncture and cut resistance. It runs inside the palms, top, and the top side of every finger too for maximum protection making it an ideal choice for use with chainsaws and other heavy hand tools or equipment.
The external covering is both rugged and durable while flexible enough to allow ease of movement. These general utility Kevlar lined gloves can definitely be classed as ‘heavy duty” and they more than just look and feel the part. A non-slip finish has been applied to the inside surface of the fingers, thumb, and palm areas to afford even higher levels of grip and durability to these sturdy gloves.
When it comes around to tested and certified levels of protection, these general duty gloves are right up there conforming to high puncture and cut levels (ANSI puncture level 4 and cut level 3). A really useful and innovative added feature is the inclusion of a sweat wipe in the form of soft Terry cloth on top of the thumb.
These well-made gloves look great, work well, and provide some of the highest levels of protection to be expected from a product in this price range. The Kevlar does, of course, add to the weight of the gloves but they are still comfortable to wear and allow a reasonable level of flexibility of movement.
- Part Number - 05-3080-70-L
- Item Weight - 8 ounces
- Product Dimensions - 5 x 3.5 inches
- Item model number - 05-3080-70-L
- Size - Large
- Colour - Grey
- Material - glass
- Item Package Quantity - 1
- Warranty Description - Protected against manufacturer defects.
- Long lasting, durable, and well up to the job
- Very comfortable to wear flexible (considering the KEVLAR)
- Provide high levels of cut and puncture protection
- Wash up well and stay looking good
- Very expensive compared to similar products that do the same job
- Wear in one place (thumb) after repetitive use
- These gloves are not very accurately sized and a larger size should be ordered
3. Youngstown Glove 09-9083-10-L Titan XT
Youngstown has an enviable reputation for manufacturing gloves that get the job done and these Titan XT gloves Lined with Kevlar are by no means an exception to the outstanding quality that the company produces. If you are looking for the nearest thing you will ever get to “total hand protection”, you won’t have to look any further than the Titan TX range.
While the innovative protection of Kevlar affords high levels of cut and puncture protection the flexibility of the glove has not been impaired. Running right through the hand and fingers of the glove, the material and TPR finger protection also afford high levels of “smash protection” for the fingers and thumb.
Visibility in low light levels is facilitated by the use of 3M’s patented Scotchlite fabric while the base layers of EVA foam and synthetic leather ensure the gloves won’t shrink. Unlike traditional work gloves, this Titan XT has been ergonomically designed using every latest state-of-the-art technology giving it a true “handshape” profile. This means they are easier to take on and off while at the same time retaining their shape and structural integrity throughout their working life.
The mix of modern materials used in the manufacture of the Titan XT provides both heat resistance and breathability. Youngstown’s hallmark textured sections on the palm and inner fingers facilitate for the maximum amount of grip and safety when using equipment such as chainsaws and other powered tools.
This is a quality glove that has been manufactured using the highest grade materials and most up-to-date manufacturing techniques. When you purchase products from this company you know that they are staking their enviable reputation on their trouble-free performance and long-life and their 60-day protection warranty more than bears this out.
Youngstown has applied all of their usual skill and innovation to the design and manufacture of this glove which has ensured that it performs to the same high standards as all of their products.
- Part Number - 09-9083-10-L
- Item Weight - 6.4 ounces
- Package Dimensions - 10.9 x 7.2 x 1.5 inches
- Item model number - 09-9083-10-L
- Size - Large
- Colour - Green/Black
- Item Package Quantity - 1
- Warranty Description - 60-day protection against manufacturer defects, not normal wear and tear.
- Although they are loaded with protective features these gloves are still flexible and comfortable enough for all day wearing.
- Hard wearing and highly protective, offering levels of protection not always found in other more expensive gloves.
- Highly visible, securely fitting, and long-lasting in even the most demanding working environments.
- As with other gloves in the Youngstown range, they are sized small and purchases should purchase the next size up.
- The protective wristband can often be too narrow for the size of hand the glove was made for.
4. Ironclad General Utility Work Gloves GUG-04-L
The Ironclad General Utility Glove has many features and design innovations that you would normally expect to find on a much more expensive product. Apart from having a reputation as the original high-performance glove, these washable and highly comfortable gloves afford high levels of protection in all kinds of working environments.
Flexibility is a key factor in work gloves and protective wear, especially where tools and equipment are being handled for prolonged periods of time. The Ironclad has all of that covered and it comes in at one of the most affordable prices around.
It features a convenient terry cloth sweat wipe on the thumb back and its synthetic leather and nylon mix give it the high levels of flexibility that such working gloves need. From secure wrist closure and padded inner palms to the gloves built-in knuckle protection via the special rubber impact protectors, these gloves really do deliver.
Another plus for the Ironclad general Utility is its superb wash-ability due to the base materials resistance to shrinkage and loss of integrity during washing and drying. With sizes that run right through from extra small to XX-large, The Ironclad also offers one of the widest size ranges of any of the glove ranges we have reviewed.
A firm grip and some levels of protection are essential when working with machinery and these gloves provide for both. If you are looking for a protective work glove at a reasonable price the Ironclad utility work glove is well worth a look.
While the Ironclad is undoubtedly aimed at the budget end of the market it still provides a certain level of protection and works well in situations where increased dexterity and flexibility may be called for.
- Part Number - GUG-04-L
- Item Weight - 3.2 ounces
- Product Dimensions - 1 x 4.2 x 10 inches
- Item model number - GUG-04-L
- Size - Large
- Colour - Black
- Material - Synthetic Leather
- Item Package Quantity – 1
- Great value for money considering the quality and features it provides.
- Durable and comfortable while still affording adequate levels of protection.
- Perfect fit that corresponds to the correct sizing.
- More suitable for lighter work and only offers limited protection with using chainsaws.
- Has certain limitations where dexterity is needed.
5. Ringers R-314 Extrication Gloves
When it comes to highly flexible work gloves that provide the highest levels of protection, the Ringers R-314 Extrication Gloves deliver beyond expectation. Whatever task you need protective gloves for; flexibility is always going to be a key factor. While this is so often traded-off against levels of protection it isn’t the case with these gloves.
Used by Fire-fighters for extrication work, they couldn’t really come with any higher endorsement. That said they are the perfect companion for the home DIY enthusiast and gardener too.
With a cut rating on the CE scale of EN388 along with puncture resistance too, they are, of course, ideal for using with chainsaws.
The uses of synthetic leather, rubber, and Armortex keeps the glove strong while EVA padding and stretch Cordura add to its protective properties. Extended cuffs and a gaiter closure system work really well to keep the insides of the gloves clean and held securely in place. The whole thing is held together by Kevlar stitching and the same material is applied to the palm padding too.
The reflective design adds to the visibility of these gloves in poor light which also affords some awareness when working close to other operatives. They look great and the really good news is that they are likely to stay looking that way because they are fully washable in the machine and won’t shrink during drying either.
Up there at the higher end of the price scale, the Ringers R-314 Extrication Gloves provide the kind of cut resistance you would expect from a product of this caliber. They are well made, durable, and the company has an outstanding reputation for supplying quality gloves and other protective items. If you want quality there is no doubt that you have to sometimes dig that little bit deeper to pay for it. The good news is that on this occasion doing so is likely to be well worth your while.
- Part Number - 314-10
- Item Weight - 5.6 ounces
- Product Dimensions - 13 x 5.2 x 1.7 inches
- Item model number - 314-10
- Size - Large
- Colour - Yellow
- Style - Large
- Material - Synthetic Leather
- Item Package Quantity - 1
- CE rated for EN388 level 2 cut and puncture resistance.
- High levels of protection
- Machine washable without shrinkage
- Knuckle and finger protection included
- Right at the top of the price range for gloves of the same quality
Chainsaw Glove Buyers Guide
As you will most likely have discovered from the above reviews, not all chainsaw gloves are created equal and prices can vary quite dramatically. Features and quality also differ between the different products and although these are more often than not taken care of in the price there is little point in paying for something that you may not actually need.
Our chainsaw glove buyer’s guide offers a few useful pointers that you may want to take into consideration when deciding which chainsaw glove is likely to best suit your specific needs.
- The first step in deciding on your ideal chainsaw glove is likely to be made around how often you are going to be using a chainsaw. For instance, will you be using it in the course of your work or business? If so, then you may need to consider long-term and probably invest in one of the high-end products that afford both maximum protection and comfortable use over prolonged periods of use. Conversely, if you only use your chainsaw for a few logs during the winter months, it may not justify such an investment and something at a budget price may well suffice.
- Another couple of considerations may be what type of chainsaw you use and what you intend to use it for. While personal protection should always be at the top of your list of priorities, the risk of accident or injury when using equipment is likely to increase with heavier tools and prolonged periods of use.
- Ultimately, however, choosing the ideal gloves is going to be a mix of usability and your own personal preference. Comfort counts for a lot, especially if you are going to be wearing those gloves for a long period of time.
The benefits of choosing the right chainsaw gloves for you:
- There are many benefits to be had by making sure that you choose the best chainsaw gloves for you and right at the top is safety. Not just your safety, but that of others who may be in the vicinity of your work area. Through comfort and adequate protection, your work and tools are certain to be much less of a danger risk. This is one really good reason for ensuring that you choose the best protective equipment including chainsaw gloves.
- The quality of your project and the time that it takes to get the job done are also likely to be impacted by the choices of equipment that you make. Choosing gloves that are comfortable will reflect in your confidence and working efficiency too.
- The other benefit of choosing right the first time around is that you should only have to do it once and you will own a quality pair of chainsaw gloves that will serve you well for a long time to come.
By making the best-informed decision concerning your available chainsaw glove options you are far more likely to get it right the first time around. The upshot of this is that you will end up working safer and more efficiently too.
Safety must always be a number one priority when working with any kind of machinery especially something like a chainsaw. Through wearing the correct protective chainsaw gloves you will not only be taking a responsible step in taking care of yourself but you will be giving due consideration to others who may be affected by your actions.
We sincerely hope that our chainsaw glove review and buyers guide has gone some way towards helping you make the best buying choice for your specific situation. Please bear in mind that sometimes another quick look over the available options can make all the difference to getting it right. All that is left for you to do then is select the one that suits your needs best and then get stuck into the project at hand.