It is very easy to buy a treadmill or spin bike. What’s not easy is climbing on every day and coming out having had an effective workout which also felt good. Most of the time your joints or back are aching. Low-impact home exercise equipment, particularly Elliptical Trainers have been becoming very popular nowadays. They provide the perfect form of cardiovascular exercise which leaves you with lower weight, pumped up muscles and a feel-good factor. This comes along with the very little impact on your joints ensuring repetitive use.
People looking to get fit usually turn to elliptical trainers. Elliptical training machine mimics a motion that is similar but not identical to cross-country skiing. However, modern elliptical trainers are technologically enhanced and can do much more than that. You can get an incredible cardio workout as well as hitting most of your major muscle groups.
The incline of your machine governs the muscle groups you will be engaging with the most. Higher incline and stride length provides you with extra attention on hamstrings and glutes, while lower one gives more attention on quads and calves. Also, the upright handles ensure you have a great upper body workout including arms, shoulders, pecs, and back. The stability provided by these upright handles also help you to increase the workout length as an unstable workout may let you feel muscle fatigue after about 15-20 minutes.
People are increasingly looking to elliptical machines as a safe and modern way to get a highly personalized cardio workout. This helps them lose weight and get a toned body more easily and effectively. Since at the gym, these machines are usually jam-packed almost every time, many people are looking to get one for their home. Our in-depth elliptical trainer reviews will hopefully guide you through the process. We also provide a checklist of the points we consider while ranking an elliptical trainer. Buying a right elliptical trainer will only help your fitness regime, and if it is from the comfort of home, you won’t even skip it.
These machines range in price starting from as low as $100 and going upwards to over $1000. Obviously, different price range provides different quality machines with different in-built functionality. To help guide you through the process, we have listed the best elliptical machines in 2018 along with their reviews making the process easier. You can find flimsy elliptical trainers of low quality for as low as $100 to $200 if you just want to see if these low impact trainers work for you. However, we would advise you to try an elliptical machine at, the gym and then decide whether you want to buy one.
Below you will find our terminology and checklist to look for in a good elliptical trainer. We also provide a list of top 10 elliptical machines 2018 along with their reviews to help you make the decision easier.
Things to consider in a good elliptical machine:
With every piece of equipment, the single factor which matters the most is the level of stability these machines provide during a workout. You want to be able to concentrate on your fluid motion and just forget the machine. A highly stable machine will fit well with you, not the other way around. During the workout, you will be able to concentrate more on your workouts, and the machine will be forgotten if it’s a good one. On an average, higher elliptical trainers tend to be more stable, but the high-end elliptical trainers also distribute the weight effectively in such a way that you are more stable.
resistance in an elliptical trainer governs how much force you have to apply on the pedals to complete one rotation. With more resistance levels, you can challenge your workout regime more effectively. The lower increment of resistance levels means you may be forced to make a jump you might not be ready for.
- Types of resistance:
There are two types of resistance
- Fan wheel resistance: fan wheels may provide you with a smooth ride and tend to be found in a lower cost elliptical machine.
- Magnetic resistance: These provide you with a quiet, consistent and more natural feeling workout. They tend to be found on more high-end machines.
some ellipticals also come with a computer, and these are the factors you should look for if your favored trainer comes with it
- Display: a good display is easy to read, and if it comes with a backlight, it’s better.
- Data Provided: The best elliptical computers give you a variety of necessary data including distance, stride speed, time of session and heart rate. Some trainers also have the ability to upload your data to external devices for tracking progress.
If your elliptical machines contain computers, it will usually have a list of pre-programmed workouts to help you follow a more targeted approach towards your goal whether it be weight loss, marathon run or anything else.
Your machine should definitely have the option of changing the incline levels if you want to have the most effective workout possible. This is at the core of working out on an elliptical. Power incline controls should be preferred over manual ones.
Elliptical stride length varies from machine to machine, and it matters more to some people. For a person of average height, a stride length of about 15″ is good. If you’re taller, you may look at about 20″ and so on.
If the foot pedals are adjustable, the machine is better. Pivoting foot pedals are helpful and more effective in providing a more natural stride motion and avoiding injury. Additionally, large pedal surface allows users of varying font sizes to complete their motion comfortably.
just like in indoor spin bikes, a good quality flywheel helps in creating a fluid and more natural feeling momentum keeping your elliptical workout from being jerky. It helps to replicate actual skiing moments. In some ellipticals, dual direction flywheels are also there allowing you to switch your motion when you want.
Some machines are a combination of usual elliptical trainers and elliptical bikes. With this type of dual feature, you get two machines for a price of one (sometimes even three). These elliptical trainers are usually found in high-end machines and feature a more upright seat just like on an exercise bike.
Top 10 Elliptical Machines 2018
The Sole E35 is presently the best elliptical machine in the market and has retained its position for quite some time now. It is a high-end machine, but its user reviews and quality more than just that price. The attention to detail is just breathtaking. Sole fitness is a top brand well-known for providing top-notch commercial grade exercise equipment and is currently the king of this market.
SOLE fitness has done adequate research and gone the distance to make a machine that provides you with a safe, ergonomically-engineered stride and every other feature you could possibly imagine.
- Leading physical therapists were at the helm of making this engineering marvel proving its effectiveness.
- The 20"-22" stride length ensures users of all heights have a comfortable cardiovascular workout.
- It makes a range of awesome elliptical training machines for home use. This machine is very similar to an elliptical trainer machine you will find at your local gym. The machines are solid and well built.
- One of the factors that stood out to bring this machine at the top is the range of E35's adjustable motions along with the machine's quality.
- The powered incline feature allows you to change the difficulty of your workout with the touch of a button on the handlebars, changing the incline to as much as 30 degrees.
- Unlike some competitors who limit the range to only 10 or 20 degrees.
- It features a quiet, driven system centered around a 29-pound flywheel and high gear ratio delivering a natural, smoother feeling stride in dual directions.
To top it all of, Sole has recently released the E35 Elliptical trainer system for a couple hundred dollars extra. It adds Bluetooth capability to extract your workout data to any smart devices through the Sole app and track your workout.
Nordic is known for making high-end, high-quality products. C7.5 is a budget offering by Nordic with features of a high-end product. It is an entry-level product by the world-renowned brand NordicTrack. Retailing for just $799, this model is a part of the front-drive series of trainers. This entry level elliptical machine is both reliable and comfortable.
- Nordic C7.5 Elliptical trainer has a weight capacity of 325 pounds and is equipped with a 20-pound flywheel.
- The stride is fixed at 20" and is not adjustable.
- The incline level can be adjusted with 0-20 degrees power adjustable ramp.
- There are 22 levels of resistance to choose from.
- There is a 5" backlit display screen with extra viewing angle, an integrated shelf for devices and an auto breeze workout fan which automatically adjusts speed based on the intensity of the workout
- The audio options have iPod compatibility as well as two 2-inch built-in speakers.
- It has 26 built-in workout programs ranging from fat loss programs to high-intensity interval training.
- You can also monitor your heart rate if you wish by choosing a heart rate monitor program.
- There are two integrated EKG pulse grip sensors which send readouts directly to the console.
- It is Bluetooth enabled to work with your iFit program if you have a subscription for the same.
The Nautilus E614 Elliptical comes from a brand well known for innovative and high-quality exercise equipment. It is a recently launched elliptical trainer and has a sleek look. It incorporates most of the cutting-edge design and technologies available. It has a freshly designed Nautilus DualTrack LCD monitor with a large display and a small secondary display. It’s equipment that is stable as well as durable. The product also comes with a 10-year warranty making it one of the best buys on the market.
- It has a High inertia drive system providing higher speed with a perimeter weighted flywheel that is easy to start and works smoothly.
- This elliptical trainer provides a fixed 20" stride length for natural movements.
- Large foot pedals are there that will surely fit any user.
- It also comes with 6 position incline for enhanced intensity.
- There are 20 levels of magnetic resistance for a wide range of changeable intensities. DualTrack LCD displays are provided for additional data display.
- Media shelf to hold your smartphone, kindle, keys, and books.
- Inbuilt speakers with MP3 input and USB port charging are provided which are unheard of in this price range.
- Adjustable fan with three speeds.
- 22 inbuilt workout programs to suit your needs
- Wheels for easier transportation.
- The machine supports a maximum user weight up to 300 pounds.
The Sole E98 Light commercial Elliptical is a high-quality cross trainer from a brand which has the maximum products on this list. It is quickly eclipsing other elliptical trainers. One of the top performers in terms of mechanics, E98 has digital tech upgrades to cater to the needs of its tech-savvy user base. It also has its own smartphone app which can work with iHealth, MapMyFitness, and all others. The choice of two warranties – residential and commercial make the E98 one of the best performers of 2018.
- The Sole E98 contains adjustable pedals with a 20" stride, a 34-pound flywheel with smooth magnetic resistance.
- It also contains moving and stationary handlebars which come with comfortable grips.
- It provides a power incline giving a choice of 20 elliptical paths for the extra cardio challenge.
- Advance stabilizers in pedals support an upright posture in any workout intensity.
- The biomechanics are ideal for most adults with medium to tall heights, and the machine can safely support about 400 pounds.
- The programs are accessible through a 10.1" console screen along with users own mobile running the Sole Fitness app.
- 10 Customizable choices are available to users including manual mode, workouts controlled by heart rate and classic workouts.
- Extra Features include straps for wireless heart monitoring, touch pulse sensors, personal cooling fans, accessory storage area and a water bottle holder.
- E98 also has speakers for an MP3 player. There is an improves tablet holder, and the screen is adjustable.
Precor’s AMT 835 with Open Stride Adaptive Movement Trainer is a mid-range model in Precor’s 830 series. It is a low impact trainer who offers an all in one design and features the brand new Open Stride feature.
Prices at about $9000, this is one of the best-valued machines in the AMT line.
- This model features three sets of handlebars and a free suspension design which can mimic the full stride of an elliptical trainer or a shorter stride ideal for walkers.
- The Open Stride feature allows users to adjust the stride height from 6.8" to 10" and the stride length is also adjustable from 0-36".
- Users have about 20 levels of resistance to choose from
- These design features make it one of the easiest machines to use as an elliptical trainer, treadmill or a stair climber.
- This trainer also features Precor's new P30 console with motion controls and quick start.
- It includes well over 20 pre-programmed workouts, an electronic keypad, a reading rack and mobile charging USB
- The display screen is a large LCD which is easy to read.
- The company offers 7 years warranty on frame, 2 years on parts and 1 year on labor.
One of the most simple yet effective elliptical trainers, the Nautilus E616 Elliptical offers a huge amount of workout programs and resistance levels. With features like the ability to charge your phone, read off the tablet and progress tracking all at the same time, it was bound to make it to this list. You can sync with your Bluetooth and get moving. This elliptical is the best choice for avid multitasker who lack a huge amount of money to be spent on such machines. It is one of the best choices for a home gym and is loaded with features.
- It has a total of 25 resistance levels (read HUGE).
- The E616 has two options for heart rate monitoring which allow for optimal health and safety.
- The sealed acoustic speakers provide awesome sound quality.
- The dual screen set up allows you to track progress while you read your tablet or work something out.
- The company provides a warranty with coverage of 10 years on frame, 2 years on parts, 1 year on electronics and 90 days on labor.
- Nautilus is one of the most respected brands in the industry, and you don't have to worry about anything.
- Even at the low price, the quality is very good, and the product will usually outlast its warranty period.
- You will get your money's worth once you start exploring its features and programs.
Schwinn 470 elliptical features a plethora of customizable options to keep you on track with your workout goals. The Schwinn 470 elliptical machine comes from a manufacturer considered among the top in the fitness market. Schwinn is an award-winning brand, and this elliptical machine has lots to offer for just about everyone. The amount of time it takes to assemble is another plus point. Just check out the features below, and you’ll be amazed.
- It comes with an included heart rate monitor allowing you to track your fitness.
- The USB port in the console helps you to listen to music while working out.
- The console also includes fat-burning recordings, various workout programs, a heart rate monitor and a high-quality LCD screen for easy use.
- The Schwinn 470 also includes about four user profiles which means it is one of the rare machines in the market which can be customized according to every family member.
- It also offers 25 levels of resistances which is huge considering the price range.
The Sole Fitness E95s takes the award-winning E95 to the next level with high-performance features and multiple adjustment features. E95s sits on the elite list of elliptical trainers by Sole but comes at a price of only $2200 which is very good compared to its features.
- It is a front drive trainer and can withstand a massive amount of user weight at 400 pounds.
- It comes with transport wheels which is a very good decision looking at its size.
- There are many adjustment features including adjustable power stride, multiple levels of resistance and adjustable console.
- The resistance levels range from 0 to 20, and the stride can go from 18"to 24".
- Foot pedals are large at 15"and are designed in such a way to reduce stress on ankles and feet.
- The console area has a 9" LCD screen giving you a basic workout data along with 10 built-in workout programs.
- You also get an option to monitor your heart rate wirelessly.
- There is a large water bottle holder, built-in cooling fan, built-in speakers and an audio plug-in.
The bowflex max m5 is a surprising alternative to ellipticals and treadmills. It is also more effective than both of them. Primarily an elliptical trainer, the Bowflex Max M5 allows total body exercise with virtually no harsh impacts. It also helps you burn calories twice as quickly. Results are quick with repetitive use. This product is really an innovation by the manufacturer. While the workout is not easy, it does provide resistance levels. Check out the features below:
- There are sixteen resistance levels available through convenient digital controls.
- The M5 can be used in manual mode, and there are 8 training programs for both beginners as well as advanced trainers.
- These include Max interval, Max calorie burn, Max fat loss and so on. Data is shown on a backlit screen, and the trainer can store two user profiles.
- There is a brand new Bluetooth enabled console which lets the user store and sync their workout results using a free app.
- Bowflex Max M5 is the best in the segment for increasing upper body strength as it does so with maximum efficiency.
- You also get an eight-week subscription to Daily Burn which gives you access to over 600 workout videos and programs.
- With a large water bottle holder and its compact design, it does justice with its price.
The Octane Zeo Runner ZR8 is another high-end product on this list that’s been making waves around the market. The new ZR8 takes zero impact running to a whole new level with an improved frame and additional performance features. The ZR8 is a hybrid between treadmill and elliptical trainer and provides a true running motion without the impact. The pricing is just under $5000. The machine’s motto is “run smarter.” As with other models by Octane, there are several options to customize your kit based on your budget.
- The new ZR8 has aircraft grade aluminum legs to allow for a faster cadence, and lightweight pedals increase efficiency.
- It is equipped with a heavy duty frame which can support up to 300 pounds, and its self-powered nature makes it very quiet.
- The ZR8 is equipped with an incredibly long 58 inches stride length which can accommodate users of all sizes.
- The higher resistance range lets you create the movement and pace according to your fitness goals.
- The console area has an LCD display with Bluetooth connectivity and access to SmartLink that allows the creation of customized workout programs.
- In addition, there are quite a few programs, 35 precisely for you to choose from. It includes a water bottle holder and a digital heart rate sensor.
- There is also an option for wireless heart rate monitoring with chest straps.
Conclusive thoughts on Elliptical machines:
Elliptical machines are one of the best options in the present time to get fit. You can achieve your weight loss goals from home. With low impact training and high result approach, elliptical trainers are fast eclipsing the shadow of treadmills and spin bikes. The buying guide provided at the beginning of this review should be your mantra to choose an elliptical trainer.
The machine should be stable; its stride length should be adequate. The option of changing incline is considered most important. More the resistance levels, the better. Large pedals with soft cushioning reduce the impact on ankles. The flywheel should be of high quality, and the machine should necessarily provide a digital LCD screen to display data. A compact design is always favorable because your home usually is not as big as a gym.
Some new kinds of machines are hitting the market which is known as hybrid trainers. This function both as a treadmill and elliptical trainers. Although priced a bit higher than regular elliptical trainers, these machines are advised to be bought if your budget allows so.
Every kind of elliptical trainer has been incorporated in the list from traditional to hybrid, from low end to high end, from compact size to size suitable for large homes. We have provided a list of best elliptical trainers in the market, and you are strongly advised to buy one of these as large amounts of adequate research has been done in creating this list, and our experts have taken care of every minute point. At last, we wish you the best for your fitness journey and hope you choose the best elliptical trainer on the market.