Introduction: Your pool functions by the swimming pool pump which operates the cleaning system. If you don’t have a good pool pump or even an operational one, your pool will remain dirty from debris, use, and algae. Therefore, it is important to have a quality pool pump to keep your pool running smoothly.
Pool pumps are driven by an electric motor which then circulates the water in your pool into tubes and machines, before being pumped back into the pool. During this action, the water passes through a skimmer which collects big debris like leaves, twigs, and stones, which are removed in order to stop a blockage occurring in your pump.
There are a few different kinds of pumps such as single-speed, double-speed, and variable speed. A single-speed pump is the most affordable but uses more energy. This means it’s not suitable for a pool that is used every day if you don’t want an extortionate energy bill. A double-speed pump has the ability to change its speed between low and fast which is ideal if you want a spa-like feature to your pool. A variable-speed pump has three-speed options and uses much less energy.
It can be difficult to know which pool pump to go for, as there are so many on the market today. That is why we have developed this buying guide complete with the best pool pumps on the market and what to look for when buying a pool pump.
Top 5 Best Pool Pumps 2020
|Best Pool Pumps||Check Price|
|Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump|
|Hayward Super Pump|
|Hayward Power-Flo LX Series 1|
|Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump|
|Wayne Automatic On/Off Pool Cover Pump|
1. Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
This pool pump is affordable while retaining high quality and gives you good value for the money you have spent. It is great for an above ground pool with the average flow rate of 2,450 GPH. There are three different models and sizes available with this product. The first is 1200 GPH, the second is 2100 GPH and the third and highest is 3000 GPH.
The Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter pump has a 110v-120v rated voltage and includes safety features like circuit breakers and a ground circuit fault interrupter in order to cut off the power if a problem ever occurs.
The way it works is by pumping the dirty water through a sand filter instead of a cartridge and the debris and dirt get trapped by the sand in order to clean the water and return it back into the pool.
The main feature of this product is sand, which is believed to increase the effectiveness of filtration compared to other ways of filtration such as cartridges. Along with this benefit, Intex Krystal clear sand filter has proven to soften the water of your pool, clear algae, refresh the water, and sanitize it. The grains of sand will also last a lot longer than any cartridges and will not need replacing for multiple seasons.
There are six modes of automated control with this pump which are located on the control valve. The first are filtering, backwashing, and rinsing. The backwash option is how to clean the sand filter, and it reverses the water flow and then out of the drain outlet. You can then use the rinse option to level the sand once it’s been cleaned. The others are recirculating, draining, and closing the system. Along with these services, the pump has a powerful motor of 0.95 horsepower.
- Dimensions — 27.1 x 17.6 x 25.5
- Weight — 40.9 lbs
- Model Number — 28651EG
- It includes a 24-hour timer
- It’s easy to maintain
- It is a universal and versatile unit
- It is very heavy
This pump can be installed into any pool no matter the shape or size although it is designed for in-ground pools. It is also recommended for spas. It may, however, be too powerful for some smaller pools, this is not necessarily a bad thing, but it will take up more energy to clean a pool, which is not energy efficient. It is also affordable and remains powerful and long lasting when compared to other makes and models.
According to Hayward this pump produces one horsepower and is designed to give optimal performance and remain durable. So, despite it only having one speed, the power behind it is enough to make sure any size pool is cleaned and pumped. Another great feature of this pump is that it includes a system which enables the pump to work more quietly than other pumps so that it doesn’t disturb you or your neighbors. In addition, the basket on it is much larger than the other units.
This pump is designed to be easy to clean and to maintain. It is small and compact, so you can carry with ease. It will fit in any size pool so is perfect as a replacement for old and worn out models. Another amazing feature is that the metal parts of the unit are corrosion-resistant, so it can work for years without having to be replaced.
- Dimensions — 29 x 10.2 x 11.5
- Weight — 39 lbs
- Model Number — SP2607X10
- It is very powerful and can handle any pool size or shape
- It is strong and durable with corrosion-resistant parts
- It is light-weight and compact so it’s easier to move around
- Large basket to hold debris
- Includes a see-through strainer so you can tell when you need to clean it
- It only has one speed
3. Hayward Power-Flo LX Series 1
This unit has a long motor life due to its double size and heatproof seals which makes it less likely to wear and tear and which will prolong its motor life. It has a 1.5 horsepower and a rated 115 volts. It includes a debris basket that is industrial sized and heavy duty and can hold up to 118 cubic inches of debris. Due to its large size, it reduces the amount of maintenance and cleaning. It also includes a reinforced and corrosion-resistant thermoplastic housing so that it is as quiet as possible.
At 20 feet of head, the Hayward Power-Flo LX Series 1 comes in at 91 GPM. It also includes a durable strainer that collects large sized debris like leaves, stones, and twigs. This unit has self-oiling bearings which lead to low maintenance, high efficiency, and durability. There is also an auto-shutoff system which means it remains safe to operate due to the automatic thermal overload relay system which automatically turns off the motor when an issue arises, such as overheating.
After the motor may have shut down due to an overheat or something else, the motor will start up again when it reaches a safer temperature, which is unlikely to be found in other units. This system is easy to install due to the minimal piping system and the fact that the pump is already assembled when it arrives at your door.
- Dimensions — 8.5 x 10 x 22.5
- Weight — 25.1 lbs
- Model Number — SP1580x15
- It has a high-performance motor
- The materials and features are corrosion-free
- It is simple to clean and due to the large size of the filter, you don’t have to clean it too regularly
- It does not have an on and off switches
- Does not come with a filter or heater so you have to purchase these separately
4. Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump
This pool pump is used for above ground swimming pools and is used to circulate and filter the water inside it. However, it should not be used on permanent above group swimming pools, but rather storable ones. It has a flow rate of 2,500 GPH and is used for pools sized up to 24 foot in diameter. It runs quietly so it won’t disturb your neighbors or yourself and there is an extra benefit of being able to run it at night without it causing too much noise.
It comes with a type B Intex filter along with a time built-in which enables you to control the automatic operating times to what suits you and your needs. It also includes a circuit breaker which prevents the unit from overloading or suffering from short circuits. This unit also meets the International Safety Standard due to the fact that it has gone through rigorous testing.
It is well designed to fit any of the following pool types: rectangular frame pools made by Intex, ellipse, oval pools, frame set pools, and easy set pools. This pool pump will fit into any shape or size up to 24 foot in any other brand as well.
- Dimensions — 13.8 x 18.5 x 16
- Weight — 19.5 lbs
- Model Number — 28633EG
- Includes a built-in timer to control the automatic operating of the unit
- It’s easy and simple to install onto your pool
- It remains quiet, so as not to cause constant noise disturbance
- Because it runs quietly so you can use it at night and not disturb anyone
- It can be difficult to change the filter
5. Wayne Automatic On/Off Pool Cover Pump
This pump has 1/4 horsepower with 2.5 amps but has a GPH of 3000 and can do so very quickly. It is among the best automatic on/off pumps on the market today. It uses a 1 1/4-inch drain hose in order to make the water flow. It also carries a special feature called the Switch Technology which is used to turn the unit on if the water levels rise to about 2 1/8 inches and then turns back off again when it drops to 3/4 inches.
It can also do its job without you around to watch it as it has an auto-freeze protection system and does not need your assistance to pump the water. It also has a very large strainer base which filters the dirt and debris from the water in order to stop clogging, meaning you don’t have the extra work of unclogging it. It is also energy efficient and has a high flow oil-free motor.
Other features the Wayne Automatic On/Off Cover Pump has are the built-in ice and debris overload protector, it’s 25 ft rope to pull it out of the water, sealed thermoplastic build so it can be submerged into the water, as well as many more desirable features.
- Dimensions — 11.2 x 7.9 x 11.9
- Weight — 10.8 lbs
- Model Number — WAPC250
- It is simple to use
- Its pump is energy efficient
- It has advanced features like the ability to submerge, reduced short-cycling, large strainer to avoid clogging, and Switch Technology to know when to turn on or off
- It can be expensive for a cover pool pump
- It won’t work if the water level is too low
Buying Guide for Pool Pumps:
Before you plan on buying a pool pump make sure to do some research first as its important to spend your money on something that is going to last and work well. There are also several factors you should consider before purchasing a pool pump.
- Size — the volume of your pool is an important thing to consider as the cleanliness all depends on the turnover of water. In other words, how long it might take to clean all of the water. You must make sure you measure the area properly, so you can find a pump that can handle the size of your pool
- Plumbing — you should always know how your swimming pool plumbing works, the distances, and any other installed equipment. This will make it easier to attach a pump and prove simpler in the future.
- Pump Efficiency — you don’t want a pool pump to use over 70% of the power that it costs to operate your swimming pool, but this can happen if you purchase an inefficient pump. Try and find an energy saving unit which should help you save on the costs of cleaning your pool.
- Noise — the output noise is a very distinctive factor that not many people would think about. But if you don’t want loud whirring at night or any other inconvenient time, try to find a pump that is quiet to operate. This will also mean you won’t disturb your neighbors.
Benefits Of a Pool Pump:
There are many benefits to buying and installing a pool pump. While there are lots of different types of pumps out there, most will strive to work well for you, whether it’s a single-speed, double-speed, or variable motor. Obviously, there are different benefits for each different type of pump but here are some benefits that may be able to help you decide what’s best for you.
- Having a filter basket means your pool will have less unwanted debris and material in it so it remains clean and clear, purely sparkling.
- You can save energy, especially with variable motors, as they operate at different speeds throughout the day and during the lowest speed, you are saving energy. You can save up to 90% of your energy costs by purchasing a variable speed pump.
- There are many options for how to control your pool pump. With the single-speed, you only have one switch, on or off, and sometimes it’s recommended to get a timer so you can control when it comes on and turns off. The variable motors tend to have built-in controllers for which speed you would like it. So, you have the opportunity to increase it at night, and slowing it down whenever you need to.
- Buying and owning a pool pump is a great investment in taking care of your pool. You can make sure the water is filtered and cleaned when you need it and remove debris from your pool so that it remains to look sparkling clean and inviting for you, your guests and your family.
In conclusion, there are many different pool pumps that can help you, you just need to decide what pump will fit your needs most. Follow our buyer’s guide and remember to take into consideration size, plumbing, efficiency, and noise, when choosing your pool pump.
Having a pool pump can benefit you in the extreme, meaning you don’t have to physically clean your pool or add unnecessary chemicals to the water. There are many different kinds of pool pumps — single-speed, double-speed, or a variable pump, and each one has their own advantages and disadvantages.
You could decide to go for the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter pump for its impressive ratings and the features accompanied with it or the Hayward Super pump for its power and versatility. You might decide to purchase the Hayward Power-Flo LX Series 1 for its ease of use and high powered motor, or the Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter pump for its timer and automatic operating system, or the Wayne On/Off Pool Cover Pump for its energy efficiency and its advanced features. Whatever you decide, we hope you have got some useful information to help you choose the perfect pool ump for you.
Which you choose we are sure you will be satisfied with your purchase and continue to have a beautiful and clean pool while saving energy and costs while operating the pump.